Anna Freud's Treatment Room
Anna Freud, who originally trained as a teacher, was the only one of Martha and Sigmund Freud’s six children to follow in the footsteps of her father, working as a psychoanalyst and educator until her death in 1982. She commenced her own analysis and training in 1918 with Freud himself – a much-criticised fact today, but one which was not uncommon at the time. Anna Freud not only pioneered the international institutionalisation of psychoanalytic science. In addition to preserving and evolving Freud’s legacy, her main interest was in child analysis, a subject on which she authored numerous publications that have become standard works. Anna Freud was also a co-founder of child care facilities including the Jackson Nursery in Vienna or later, while already in exile in London, the Hampstead War Nurseries.
In 1922, now a member of the Vienna Psychoanalytic Society, Anna Freud began practising as an analyst in the two rooms facing the yard at Berggasse 19. Already in 1920, not happy with the wallpaper in her former room, she had moved to the former “boys’ rooms”, after Freud’s three sons had “left home for good” in 1919, as Freud wrote in a letter to Sàndor Ferenczi. The original wall and ceiling paint in Anna’s practice was uncovered in the course of renovation in 2014. The colour, in keeping with the tastes of the Gründerzeit period, shows how strongly Anna Freud was inspired by her great model in this respect too: the dark red of the walls was identical to the hue that the “father of psychoanalysis” also had his treatment room painted.
Picture (with current special exhibition "Setting Memory"): Oliver Ottenschlaeger